Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tillamook Cheese Factory

Friday, we went to Tillamook to check out the cheese factory. I eat more than my fair share of cheese and I love Tillamook Cheese. I didn't realize it was in Oregon. It was about an hour away on a tree-lined highway that was pretty windy (a lot of curves, not air). As we approached Tillamook I had some good memories of growing up on the Farm/Ranch. The not so sweet essence of barn. As a kid I didn't really pay much attention to it, it was the way life was. I haven't lived near a barn or cattle in a long time.


It was very interesting to see how they make, age, cut and package cheese. I never really gave it much thought to how they made cheese or how it was aged. I think they said they have the ability to age 50 million pounds of cheese. Now THAT is a lot of of cheese. Though the workers looked bored on the assembly line, they definitely pay a large role in getting it out on the shelves.

To end it, we had Tillamook Ice Cream. It was so creamy.

Then as we were driving home, just outside of Tillamook, I saw something that I'd never heard of, well enough seen. There was a big sprinkler in this pasture, the kind that usually has water coming out of it, but this had very green liquid coming out of it. One of the boys asked "What is that?" and I was actually thinking the same thing. The answer: "Manure!" The essence in the air again was less than desirable. I know it has a purpose and will help the grass grow faster, to feel all the cows that they milk, to make the cheese that we all eat. Darren said he was willing to go back for me to get a picture, but I was too embarrased to ask. Maybe next time. I would only do something like that if I was in a car alone.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a really fun place to visit next time we are in Oregon!!

And - no I also didn't know you could spread manuer that way, don't want that to hit the windshield!!