After the JV game, Wendy and I moved up one row to sit at the top of the bleachers, you know, to help support our backs. That was when it started. A lady a couple people down from us made a comment loud enough for me to hear, "I think you should have to show ID to sit up here." I carefully turned my head to look at here, she was looking right at me. I politely asked her, "Are you serious?" Her response, "Yes". She had her shot. I wouldn't have said another word. I stayed calm the whole time. I said, "I'm older than you think". She said, "You are?" I said, "Yes." She asked, "How old are you?" She couldn't have known how I LOVE this game. I simply said, "Would you like to guess?" She just stared at me. With a smile on my face I said, "I turned 34 today." Her jaw dropped and all she could say was "34?" She then found words and said, "Then I think you should have to move down a few rows." I turned and again calmly asked her, "Really, you are going to make me move on my birthday?" She again said, "34?" The lady right next to me asked if it was really my birthday today. I again said, "yes". The other lady was still staring at me repeating "34?" a couple of times. Not such a bad compliment on a birthday that could have seemed bad. She still looked like she thought I should move, so I put it on a little thinker. I said, "I flew all the way from Phoenix to watch this game, on my birthday, and you still want me to move?" A man asked if I really flew all the way from Phoenix to watch this game and I say "Yes, well, sort of, I came to see my niece cheer". I then turned to Wendy and asked if I embarrased her. She said no and I really hope that I didn't. It has given me many laughs since. The look on the lady's face that kept repeating 34? was priceless. Happy 34th Birthday to me!
Saturday, January 26, 2008
I think you should have to show ID...
Friday night we went to watch the boys basketball team play because Emily was cheering. She is a flyer, the cheerleader that they throw up in the air, though they aren't so good at catching her! I was a bit annoyed by that and would have liked to have taken her coach aside and given her some ideas of how to make the girls understand the risk and pain involved when they don't catch someone.
at 10:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I wish i could have been there to hear this conversation.
Was she just mad because she didn't think to move up there first?
I can't believe they dropped Emily! How rude!
Post a Comment