FRIDAY: I can't seem to figure out how to put this in words...nothing seems to properly describe this experience.
I had a grand opening at my Vistancia branch on Friday. My responsibility was to do some kind of food. The idea came up to do cotton candy. We were all excited! Who doesn't like cotton candy?! It brings memories of being a kid, carnivals, the state fair, etc. After 9 hours of making cotton candy I was pretty much covered from head to toe. You could see the sugar melted and stuck all over in my hair and arms. My face was covered with sugar and it was stuck to my eyelashes. At moments it was in my eyes, which doesn't feel so good. They say to wear protective glasses, but who wants to look goofy while making cotton candy? It was a perfectly beautiful day. The spun sugar shinning in the sun was somewhat mesmerizing. It really was a very fun day.


But, after 12 hours it became a very long and extremely exhausting day of work. I just wanted a bath and to go to bed. I was on my feet for at least 10 of those hours and my feet were killing me. What was I thinking wearing a pair of heels? I actually don't think I was thinking at all. My shoulders where so tight and sore from spinning the cones I could hardly hold them up. So as I lay down to go to bed and closed my eyes I was excited...and then...ALL I COULD SEE WAS COTTON CANDY!!!!! Spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning. Then there are the glittering shimmers of sugar off the sun. What earlier was mesmerizing, now was driving me nuts. I really did just want it to stop. I kept opening my eyes thinking that if I could just think of something else that it would go away when I'd shut my eyes again. It didn't. It became somewhat of a nightmare...of sugar. I was so frustrated that I almost got back up, but was so exhausted that watching cotton candy spinning around in my head was my only option. After well over an hour I finally gave in to the spinning and fell asleep. It was the worst and longest night I've had in a LONG time. Every time I woke up, at least 7 times, it all started over again. More spinning and spinning and spinning...

3 comments:
I have spun cotton candy before and you ain't kidding when you say that it gets EVERYWHERE!
WOW! I seriously had no idea it would be so messing and have such long term effects! But what a great thing to do for your customers. I hope they enjoyed it!!
i've done that briefly before, it isn't easy, way to go, props
Post a Comment