Pictures: Havasupai Falls/Havasupai 2007/ Kohlton - smallest 07 hiker
It's hard to believe that our next Havasupai trip is only 5 months away. A group of 24 is set to be there early June. We'll drive up on the evening of the 5th and camp up top. We'll hike in early on the 6th and stay 3 nights. On the 9th we'll hike out and drive home. This year also including a hike to the Colorado River and attending the local LDS branch on Sunday. Maybe we'll even get a few more to jump off Navajo Falls!!! (see video below)
I did have some panic that they shorted us one room. I thought even if they did, Christmas wasn't the time to "un-invite" people from going on a trip that will surely create more memories to add to the other years of Havasupai memories that most of us have. And...how exactly would that be handled, other than some sleeping on the floor, who would even want to sleep on the floor? I'm just glad I didn't end up having to deal with that scenario! Gratefully, when I was FINALLY able to reach them, they assured me another confirmation, separate from the other 5 rooms, would be sent. I thought this a little strange...ok, a lot strange. Reservations were made mid - late June and paperwork doesn't come for more than 6 months after, during which time you have to HOPE and have FAITH that everything will work out okay and they really DID write your name down (in pencil no less) in that big reservation book.
It is amazing how much technology has advanced. They still do things the old fashion way. You can only reach them if they aren't cleaning, running supplies to or from the helicopter, doing laundry, registering guests, taking a break and only between the hours of 8 to 12 and 1 to 5...though not "all of the above". It becomes a game of cat and mouse. Where most of the time I'm playing both roles. Usually morning is best, but it is like winning the lottery when I do finally get a "Havasupai Lodge" on the other end of the line. In many ways I really respect it. As a tourist it can be extremely frustrating. HOWEVER, it is so worth ALL the hassle to be able to stay at the lodge! Having both camped and lodged at Havasupai, I'd pick lodging there every time...and I'm not usually afraid of roughing it!
It is amazing how much technology has advanced. They still do things the old fashion way. You can only reach them if they aren't cleaning, running supplies to or from the helicopter, doing laundry, registering guests, taking a break and only between the hours of 8 to 12 and 1 to 5...though not "all of the above". It becomes a game of cat and mouse. Where most of the time I'm playing both roles. Usually morning is best, but it is like winning the lottery when I do finally get a "Havasupai Lodge" on the other end of the line. In many ways I really respect it. As a tourist it can be extremely frustrating. HOWEVER, it is so worth ALL the hassle to be able to stay at the lodge! Having both camped and lodged at Havasupai, I'd pick lodging there every time...and I'm not usually afraid of roughing it!
Jason making it look easy...(you will have to turn your head/computer to the side).


4 comments:
This was nice. Thank you for sending the link for it. I showed it to Flo and she commented. I've thought about doing this. Does it cost? and how to you start one? Love, Mom
this one is free. it is easy to set up. just go to blogspot.com
YEAH!!!! WELCOME to the wonderful world of blogging! It's great and love your blog! Look forward to keeping in better touch.
i've jumped navajo falls... it is high, holy cow!
Post a Comment