Saturday, March 1, 2008

First Hike

I did my first hike of the season Saturday. I waited a little long to get out there and it started to get warm, but it was a very beautiful day. It is so green out right now. I wished I had my camera. I will bring it along the next time to try to get a picture of what I'm about to describe. I did Thunderbird Mountain (the trail SE of Pinnacle Peak and 59th Ave). It would haven't have looked like it was the desert, had it not been for the cactus. There were the most beautiful yellow flowers everywhere. It was hard to keep my eyes on the trail as I wanted to take in the beauty, though I NEEDED to as I chose not to wear my ankle brace. I regretted it, only because I was so paranoid going down that I would have saved time by stopping to put it on. Worrying about every step is a bit annoying. It is always on my mind, but I don't have to be as cautious when I have the support of laces and straps. As I jogged the flatter part I was thinking that some day I'd like to visit the Painted Desert at a time of year that it is in bloom. Who would have though I'd fall in love with the desert more and more every year. This mountain girl may even love them equally one day.

After my last few hiking experiences I had almost written off enjoying hiking ever again. I was quickly reminded why I love to hike. I look forward to hiking a few times a week in preparation for rim to rim #3 in May. The final decision to do it will have to do with the temperature and how my body is handling the heat leading up to it. I'm praying for overcast and 60:-). It is doubtful, but I'd love it if it were. I'd even be okay with rain, just don't want to see the sun and 100 degrees again like last year.



I'll try to post some pictures in the next week. Get out there an hike:-)

0 comments: