Happy 40th Birthday to My Big Brother KARLEN! 

These pictures were taken while we hiked Longs Peak last September. I love to hike, like I have to tell you, and Karlen had always wanted to do Longs Peak just west of where he lives in the Colorado Rockies. While I was there one year he invited me to come back and hike it with him. I did. He also invited me to do Ride the Rockies with him, but I haven't been on a bike for years. I also didn't have enough time off this year to take off another week.
When I was young, I was scared of Karlen, we always seemed so different. What I didn't recognize then, but have as an adult...we are very similar. I'm grateful for the bond that we have been able to build as adults. I have many great memories with him and his family.
I called him today, half asleep after waking up from a nap. I thought I had one of his boys as he answered in a different language. I asked for his dad...he said, It's Karlen. How embarrassing. He did sound young and the noise in the background a bit confusing. He was at a party, but different than I expected. He started Ride the Rockies today. Durango to Breckenridge. 7 days, 435 miles, all on a bike in some of the country's most beautiful scenery. Ride the Rockies is an annual bicycle tour that takes 2,000 cyclists on a 6-7 day ride on paved roads through Colorado's Rocky Mountains. They were eating dinner, ending their first day of riding. Seeing it started on Father's Day and on his 40th Birthday, ending in Breckenridge, he decided this was the year. I hope your knee holds up better than Longs. Way to celebrate turning 40! I can't wait to see you in 2 weeks!


0 comments:
Post a Comment