Our annual Grand Canyon hiking trip is only 6 weeks away and I'm wondering how I'm going to possibly be prepared for it. In years past work has not been as crazy as it is now. For whatever reason 2009 is turning out to be a crazy busy year, the busiest yet. I am still very excited for what 2009 has to bring, but am wondering if I'm going to miss out on part of the excitement from being too busy. I've said many times that life was meant to be lived and I'm surely "living" it to what feels to me currently like maximum capacity.
It reminds me of a poem that my mom had cut out of a newspaper that was on our refrigerator growing up. Years ago I had my mom type it out and email it to me. It now resides on my refrigerator too.
The Busy Man
If you want to get a favor done
By some obliging friend,
And want a promise safe and sure
On which you may depend,
Don't go to him who always had
Much leisure time to plan,
But if you want your favor done,
Just ask the busy man.
The man of leisure never has
A moment he can spare;
He's busy "putting off" until
His friends are in despair;
But he whose every waking hour
Is crowded full of work,
Forgets the art of wasting time--
He cannot stop to shirk.
So when you want a favor done,
And want it right away,
Go to the man who constantly
Works 20 hours a day.
He'll find a moment somewhere
That has no other use,
And fix you while the idle man
Is framing an excuse.
-Author Unknown
By no means am I as busy as "The Busy Man", but it reminds me that in life I must prioritize and do the things that matter most and to find or make time to help others too. To keep my heart healthy, I must also prioritize stress relieving activities...such as hiking. running, blogging and good times with friends and family. I know that life will likely only get busier and I will learn to get things done more efficiently, but for now, I'm just hoping that my plate is as full as it currently needs to be.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
The Busy (wo)Man
at 7:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
that's a great poem, thanks for sharing, it really got me thinking!
Actually, Betty Paulsen gave us that newspaper clipping when we lived in Brady. It is a good poem. It still is on the refrig.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment