Monday, May 12, 2008

Alarm Clock

When I was 11 or 12 my dad took me Montgomery Wards to pick out an alarm clock. It was a pretty big deal (this makes more sense if you know my background). I picked out this awesome white alarm clock that had a radio. I can still remember being in the store, how I felt and how exciting it was, just like it was yesterday. I think it cost $12. The radio gave out when I was probably 18, but the buzzer, which I used anyway, did not. As time went on, I refused to get another one when I had a perfectly good one, even if the white had turned to light yellow. It then became more sentimental as I'd realized that I'd had the clock more than 2/3 's of my life. How do you throw something away that has that memory attached to it? In the last couple months the snooze button (which gets A LOT of use) started being really sensitive. I swear I could almost just put my finger in that direction and it would snooze. I didn't even have to put pressure on it, just lightly touch it. I figured that one day it wouldn't snooze anymore. Well, a week ago my alarm didn't go off. I was lucky that I woke up soon after it was suppose to go off. I almost felt like I needed to give it a funeral after having used it for 22-23 years. Let's see, if you take 12.00 and divide that by 23 years, that is just over 50 cents a year. Now I'd say that was a pretty good deal. Dad, will you buy me a new alarm clock? Just kidding, but thank you for the memory that was worth more to me than $12.00.


0 comments: