Thursday, July 17, 2008

Please Think Before You Ask

Sometimes I think I do my best thinking when I'm half asleep...trying to get to the point of all the way asleep. Most nights that doesn't work out the way I'd like it to. Maybe I only think it is my best thinking because I am half asleep and I really don't know what I'm really thinking anyway.

When I started this blog it was for a couple different reasons, but mostly just to give me an out to talk about what I wanted to talk about without worrying if people wanted to hear it. At any moment one can stop reading a post and really I'd never even know it. No feelings hurt, no harm done. I still get things off my mind and that really is the main reason for doing this. There is however one specific topic that I've resolved never to speak of directly. I will never write about specific dates or specific men (until the moment of engagement). You'd have to be very close to me to know what is going on in that part of my life. (Even my parents won't likely know either until the day that I'm engaged. In that case, if he does it right, my father should know before I do. Now, now...sit down Mom and Dad...I'm not "dating" anyone so don't reserve the temple yet.) I do however feel the need to talk about dating in general. If this is of no interest to you, this may be a good point to stop reading. Who am I kidding? ...This is a good point to stop reading no matter what! I also seem to open up more when I'm tired...which at this moment I definitely am.

Dating is a tricky thing. I'm old enough you'd think I'd have it figured out by now. I actually think that for the most part dating sucks. It is really more stress than I'd like to deal with at times. I think I have a knack for being interested in men that aren't interested in me and not interested in the ones that are. For the most part I think that is a blessing. If you know me well enough, you know the reason why. If you don't know, then get to know me better one-on-one and you'll likely find out if you ask. Some things are better not to put on the Internet.

I have found that as I get older I'm more particular on what I'm willing, or not willing, to put up with or deal with. You may call that picky...I call it learning from other people's mistakes. Just because Jane got burned putting her hand on the fire, does not mean that Nilda needs to do the same. And, just because John fell off a cliff because he didn't read the warning sign certainly doesn't mean that I should ignore the warning signs myself. Since when did people decide that not learning from other's mistakes in the same or similar circumstances was acceptable? Again, good time to stop.

I do get a bit annoyed when people ask questions like, "Why aren't you married?" Well, let's see...because I haven't managed to find a man that I loved that loved me that I felt right about marrying. Period. Doesn't seem like any moving reason does it?! I would bet that everyone out there that is married or ever was married, was in love with someone that was in love with them at the same time (or at least I hope so). I'd also bet that both people were interested in marrying that same person that they were in love with and then and only then got married. So, why is it so hard to see and understand that not everyone has had THAT experience in their life?! I think that sometimes people want me to say, "Well I found the perfect man. I fell in love with him and he loves me too. We have so much in common and can't stand to be apart. We can see that our lives would be good together. We have prayed about it and both received a witness that we should be married. BUT...I just decided that being single, living alone, working hard and not having children is...what, fun?!"

Or my another favorite, "Are you just being too picky?" Really people, think about this. Are you married? Weren't you picky? I surely hope so! I certainly hope that you didn't just pick the first suitor that showed interest just because you felt the need to be married. And if you did, that was your choice and I hope it ended up working out for you. That is not however the way that I plan to roll the dice of eternity. I have very few deal breakers on the list in my head. It has been at least 8 years since I wrote any sort of list down. I may even laugh if I saw it now. If you'd met Mr. Wrong or Mr. Wrong Again, you would be wondering why I wasn't MORE picky!!! In the end, the deal breakers really don't matter. I only have one thing that I need...NO DOUBT!

Now don't get me wrong. I have NOTHING against marriage. I pray every day that I'll have that opportunity and that blessing in my life soon (though 15 years of "soon" makes me wonder what size of clock I'm suppose to be looking at). However, it DOES NOT DEFINE ME as a person. It never will. If you think I'm wrong that it doesn't, then I think you have it all wrong yourself and should try to look at it from the another side, maybe even mine. I am happy. I am blessed. I have everything I want in life except for one thing! Can you say that? I have not done anything wrong that prevents me from deserving of the greatest blessing in this life. However, believe it or not, it isn't all under my control. We all have agency. Neither I, nor anyone else, can force someone to love someone else. Nor would I want them to be!!! I love my agency, therefore I love the agency that all are allowed. Most of the time I feel like agency is the greatest gift we were given. Yes, there is the Atonement and the Gospel and so many other things, but agency gives us the right to choose. Choose good, evil, right, wrong, to change, to grow, to learn, to forgive, to love, to laugh, to... I could go on and on. Isn't agency wonderful? I love my agency! I will be so much more grateful when I use my agency to choose the same man that uses his agency to choose me!

A little deeper look. I've been in love 1 1/2 times in my life. I used to say 2...though I'm sure the 2nd time I was in love with the thought of being in love again. I don't think that is so bad for my age. I've actually never said "I love you" to anyone. Wrong? Not sure, maybe in the first instance it would have been appropriate, though at this point I'm just sure glad I didn't. Maybe when I have the guts to say it, it'll be right. I certainly don't have a problem telling my family and friends that I love them. I would like to briefly touch on those chapters of my life. The 1st was real and deep. I thought he was the one I'd spend my life and eternity with. Let's call him Mr. Wrong. Mr. Wrong was charming and spiritual, fun and stable, had a good family and we had a ton of fun together. I could see no reason why we would not be happy. However, Mr. Wrong was a bit, okay, so more than a bit, afraid of commitment. He was very much the come here, come here, come here, go away, go away, go away kind of guy. If he stuck to the go away part, I'd had never fallen, but he soon came running back and begging me to come here, yet once again. Talk about a yo yo relationship. I kept feeling like if I was patient that it would all work out. When this didn't work out, I tore my life apart. It hurt to the core. I think this was one of the few times in my life, for at least a couple months, that I was bitter towards someone specific. I wanted him to hurt like I hurt. Though it took me a long time to get over him and understand the "why" it was amazing how grateful I was once I was able to remove myself from the situation and most importantly, the feelings and feel the "why" to the very core that used to be hurt. It did "all work out". Just not in the way I thought it would. Years later, and many experiences later, I see more and more and more why it simply couldn't have worked out. I've felt blessed every day for 6 1/2 years that I was wrong! More than some times I thank God for that unanswered prayer!

That brings me to #2 or #1/2, whatever you want to call it. He was everything that I thought Mr. Wrong was lacking, or at least I thought so in the beginning. We had fun and we had a lot in common. He however sucked in a crisis. Or maybe he just sucked in a crisis with me. I know this because I've experienced it first hand. Far be it to show concern because that actually may show you care. We certainly wouldn't want that! I now know that I got caught up in the idea of love and associated him with it. Let's call him Mr. Wrong Again. Again as I was able to remove myself from the situation and the feelings, it all became much clearer. Logically it just didn't make sense to think I was in love with him. I loved certain things about him and certainly him as a person, but I wasn't "in love" with him. I didn't even like him in certain ways and that wouldn't help a marriage. I again was grateful for being wrong! Another unanswered prayer that I was grateful for.

So someday I hope I get it right. What would it be like to fall in love with someone that fell in love with me? What would it be like to love someone so much that life could not exist without them in it? What would it be like to have "NO DOUBT" in knowing that was who I SHOULD marry? I'll have that, I've been promised. I am so grateful for that. My only real deal breaker...that I don't have the "NO DOUBT" confirmation that is required. I've been wrong twice. I certainly don't want to be again. I guess I could call him Mr. Wrong Yet Again? I hope I never have to find out.

So what makes someone fall in love? Better yet, what holds someone back from falling in love? If you've managed to get this far, I'd love to hear what you think. Or at least I think, at 2:45 in the morning, that I want to know what you think ;). I give you permission to give it back to me...if you did indeed make it through this very LONG post.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Nilda, You have the right idea about the reasons for marriage. And what is great is that you are happy being you (single) and so can someday be happy being you and Mr. Right (married). Did that make sense? Love you lots.

Aubrey said...

I agree with Jenny's comments above.

And seriously, "Why aren't you married?"----are there really people that ask these dumb kinds of questions?!?!? I think we should create a list of Top Ten comebacks to ridiculous questions like that.

Nilda Noel said...

Jenny, makes total sense.

Aubrey, yes...people really do ask these questions :-) I guess it gives me something to blog about and really, something to laugh about too. And...I think a top ten comebacks list would be great...though a few of mine were just listed. Maybe we should do a top ten ridiculous questions to ask. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day that is having a hard time getting pregnant. She gets asked all the time why she doesn't have children. I really hope I don't ask questions to others that I don't realize are insensitive or come across the same way. It is always easier to see life from our point of view, that is for sure.

Emily N. said...

You ask so many relevant questions to which there are no real answers. I wondered for years what was wrong with me that none of my dating efforts seemed to work. But in the end, you and I both know that there was nothing wrong. You know this about yourself--just like you know so many things about yourself that are truly wonderful and amazing. I am so glad that you live your life with purpose and meaning--and that you are so brave. I have always ben impressed with the life you have lived and how you have built it. It takes courage--which you have so much of! :)

Keep looking and discerning. You never know what may happen. Some random guy could show up at a book club and then you may find yourself semi-stalking him at the family history center. . . ;)

Nilda Noel said...

I love you! Have I told you that lately?! I'm glad you're back. We need to do dinner. I know you "hear" me, likely more than most. Thank you for being my friend. I'm so happy that you've finally had THAT experience. Gives me hope...though I don't know that I'll meet him at the book club, though stalking could be fun;-). JUST KIDDING!

RJ said...

So what makes someone fall in love? Better yet, what holds someone back from falling in love?

Wow Nilda, those are awesome questions. Really your whole post was fascinating. I want to write a whole post on the subject someday too. I thought about it a lot while single till 28 and a lot while I've been married for the last two years.

My thirty somehting friend recently called me asking for advice, she said, "Am I supposed to lower my standards and date all the guys around me who are 30, still in college, and living in their parent's basement?" (she works in Orem)

My answer was no, I didn't think she should, but that she should do everything possible to be humble and open hearted and kind to them and everyone of couse, so that when a man does come around she won't be bitter and therefore miss the chance to make it work with him. Seems like you're doing a good job of that one too :)

Anyway, just a thought that she said she found helpful. I really have no answers, of course :) but if you're honestly asking my thoughts on it, then here are a couple more random thoughts that may or may not apply to your post exactly. Just some thoughts on the subject of dating and marriage, really.

While dating I used to always say, I just want three things, 1. Him to be my best friend 2. Him to be a man of God 3. Us both to want to marry each other.

But to be honest I kind think I was picky. Since marrying, I have said out loud and in my head many times, "WOW! I could've married any number of boys I dated that I thought were for sure no's." These days I see marriage/dating as way less of a search for a "one and only, must be the Right one" and more of a pursuit to find someone that I'm a good team with. I like the question of, "Can we work through our problems together?" well then lets go! From my perspective, marrying anyone will be the hardest but best experience of my life if I am committed to Christ. Anyway, retrospectively, it seems like there's a lot more guys out there that are committed to Christ and willing to work with me on our problems than I originally thought. If that makes any sense. I'm really just rambling, here. I'm procrastinating my laundry pile and should go, but thanks so much for the great posts, I always enjoy reading your blog. Every once in a while I smile when I see 13 POSTS pop up on my google reader :). You're great, your young women were so lucky to have you as an example. Have fun dating and I promise I've never asked such crazy questions and never will! :)

Nilda Noel said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I actually wondered if people would think I was nuts for posting it. However, it really was nice getting it off my chest.

I like what you said to your friend. About still being kind and not getting bitter. Because I think even though some of us have had a long time to wait before "the man" for us to marry comes a long, that we still don't have excuses to not be prepared. Meaning, being open to it, being worthy, being ready, being the best me I can be so that when the best him he can be comes along that I am in-tune enough to recognize it. Does that make sense?

I like how you said " good team with". That makes sense to me. I also think that we are all picky...just don't or didn't want to admit it. I'm sure that there are boys/men that I dated that it could have worked out with, though didn't feel like it was right, for whatever reason. All of those in hindsight I'm grateful that it didn't work out.

Thank you for your input on this. I enjoy getting comments back...especially on posts like this that I'm really looking for feedback on. As for the 13 posts at once. I tend to start the post...mostly just put the title to remind myself what I want to post about, but finding the time to actually do it...sometimes I'd rather read other people's blogs than type my own. :)

I promise I'm keeping an open mind on the "eternal companion" thing. Seems like eternal perspective is one of my strong suits. I'm grateful for friends that are still willing to be there...even though I'm an odd wheel sometimes (not odd person...wheel...like 3rd wheel...5th wheel...:) Don't want you all to think that I think I'm weird;) )