Saturday, July 26, 2008

Montana On My Mind #1 - Family Reunion

It was difficult to go through 1,000+ pictures and decide. I love digital cameras. I will post more pictures from Glacier at a later time. I'll post it as Montana On My Mind #2 - Glacier National Park


I'll let the pictures do most of the talking...
Uncle Bob giving rides on the trailer with the 4 wheeler. Nevaeh would only go if I rode with her.
Nevaeh blowing dandelion seeds all over. More "flowers" for next year ;-) I think Kohlton was just excited to have someone down on his level. His face looks so cute. Karaoke Uncle Bob's style. The rain halted the fun, but not before Uncle Bob got many people up to perform.Heidi read Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse on this trip. This is how we'll remember Heidi on this trip.
Hunter kissing Jade.
This is how we get wood for a week full of camping for 90...
"Uncle Terry, I can help you with that. I'm strong."The wood stack. Hopefully we won't have to go do this again until next year.One more day...I think we'll make it.
Jacob, Paloma, Damon & Kylah having a very long water fight...
Truce...
Brent, Tom, Troy and Travis playing horseshoes.Yes...not just another dirty face. She even looks cute when she needs a bath.
Cards...
And more cards...4th of July...Fireworks in Lincoln.
Nevaeh, "Next year I'm bringing ear plugs."Emily smiling pretty while hanging out with her cousins watching fireworks.
Only the BEST place in the world to get beef jerky. A family favorite.Kohlton finds some trucks to play with.Nevaeh taking pictures in our Motel on a morning I tried to let Laura sleep in. It worked for awhile as evident by this picture.Pinata x2. One for the little kids and one for the not so little kids. Ethan wearing the top of the Ice Cream Cone Pinata after it fell.Uncle Ray insisted on taking a couple pictures of me with my camera to prove I was there. David and I at the campfire.No family reunion is complete without a break to go to the "Shake and Burger" (otherwise known as "The Pit Stop") for real shakes and some good fries and onion rings!
Monika and Laura were on the phone almost the whole time we were there. Have you ever seen too prettier girls talking on the phone...after camping for days?Even Kohlton and Carlee got to share a shake. They just couldn't get enough. Training them early.
I just thought this was sweet. They have these old gas tanks and signs up. I only wish this is what we still see at the gas station...The rest of these are pictures I took while driving between my friend Tenella's house between Ulm and Great Falls and back up to the mountains. I have always been amazed by the beauty of nature. I've always known Montana was beautiful. I however cannot describe the thoughts and memories that came as I drove those 100 miles that I've driven probably a 100+ times before in my life. Life gets busy and I never really stop to take pictures. This time I took a few hours to drive so I could pull over and snap a few shots. I only wish that the pictures turned out like it looks in real life...but they never quite seem to do that.Between Cascade and DeerbornBetween Wolf Creek and the Mountains on the cut across road. The barn picture reminds me of home.
This picture is of these rocks that are on the east side of Roger's Pass. When I was a kid they used to scare me. I thought they looked like hooded men. Can you see it?Just over Roger's Pass, on the west side is this sign. Tell, a kid I went to elementary school with, said it was 76 below at their house. I lived in Montana until I was 27 and I think the coldest I remembered was 40 something below. Yes, you can breathe when it is that cold, but it hurts and stings the inside of your nose.Alice Creek is where we went camping as a kid. My dad camped there as a kid also. Now that our reunions are larger we cannot camp there because they don't have facilities like a toilet and water. We go to Aspen Grove now, but here are a couple pictures of what I'll always remember as where I learned to camp, get wood and stay away from bears. Most of us still call it Alice Crick...even though most of us pronounce Creek with the long ee's any other time we use it. This is not the area we camped, but just off the highway. We used to camp 8 miles back on a gravel/dirt road.There are so many more pictures. I hope you enjoyed this long picture post.

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

Looks like the reunion was tons of fun. Thanks for the pictures, we almost felt like we were there.

Roxanne said...

Looks like your reunion was fun. We just got back from my family reunion. It was great to be with family. We need to get together for dinner. Our ward is over at 5 and the baby is usually napping, but Monday nights are good for us.

heidi said...

yeah! how fun, okay so I finished after the first half of the reunion, so it wasn't the only thing i did, lol! love all your pictures, i need to get on mine, & sorry i havn't forgotten about your pictures, I'm having a problem transfering them, so don't give up on me, sorry.

Miken Harding said...

Looks like a blast-families are the best. I'm sure you were in heaven! Gorgious moutains. How's life? Come to TX!!! We miss you.

Holly said...

Your pictures were amazing. I have been to Montana a couple of times, but the pictures convinced me that I need to explore it a little more.