Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Allergic Reaction

2008 has not been a good year for my ability to breathe. I've heard it a lot that this year was a bad year for allergies. With all the rain that we got early in the season and with all the wind that we've had, many people have had more of an issue. I've always had allergies, but never was really effected by them in Arizona. If I had an issue I'd take an allergy pill and it'd go away. I hadn't had any issue breathing through my nose or sneezing. However, I did have an issue with my lungs (they play a more important role) and have been now for a couple months. It felt similar to when I had bronchitis a few months ago. It felt like I was breathing through a straw or like a horse was sitting on my chest. I kept thinking it would go away if I just gave it more time. After 6 weeks, it had become my new normal. Due to my issue with breathing, I haven't been able to do any hiking, well exercising period. I have an albuterol inhaler that I was given to use when I had a chest cold to help open my airways. I was using it multiple times a day and multiple times through the night. It was giving me little relief and when it did work, for a very short time.

Last Saturday I went for a run (19th). Needing to get ready for Havasupai, which is fast approaching, I really wanted to get some exercise in. I got about 3/4 of a mile away and I felt like something wasn't right and could hardly breathe. Again, needing to get some exercise in, I decided that I still needed to go 4 miles and I'd just walk fast. I went another block and decided that I was in trouble and should at least walk closer to my house. I was having to talk myself through getting air. Soon I realized that I must be having an asthma attack. Laura and Karlen both had sports induced asthma in high school. At about 1/2 mile from home I was sure I was in major trouble. I tried to walk faster, but it got worse. So I just kept talking myself through it and prayed I'd get home. Maybe I should run with a cell phone for awhile. Well I made it home and used my inhaler. I pretty much layed on the couch or a few hours until I felt normal (the new normal) again.

The following Tuesday I went to my doctor (22nd). They were pretty sure after explaining what was happening and after listening to my lungs that I have asthma. They also gave me a EKG to verify that my heart didn't have anything to do with it. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing and has to do with this year. The weird part is that really I had no issue with anything but my lungs. They gave me a sample of a drug called Symbicort. They said it was newer drug that was really good. I started taking it immediately. I was to take 2 puffs in the morning and 2 in the evening. Within 3-4 days my lungs felt clear.

The following Monday night (27th) my throat was really sore. It felt like it was raw. One of the side effects is throat irritation, so I didn't think much about it. I kept drinking water, but no relief. Through out the night I was awake a lot because of how sore my throat was. In the morning I was having issues breathing. I thought to myself, half asleep, I'm sure glad that I get to take my inhaler again. I then did my regular 2 puffs and got in the shower. By the time I got out of the shower I knew I was having an allergic reaction. My throat felt even worse and felt like it was swelling. My lungs were definitely not clear and my heart was palpitating. Well, Tuesdays are my meeting days. I decided that I wasn't going to take Symbicort anymore. I also decided that I wasn't going to miss my meetings. I got ready for work and figured if I was still having issues when I got done that I'd call the doctor and go in. So, off to work I went. As I sat at my desk I kept getting Vertigo. Now that is not good. I still felt like my throat was swollen. I went into my meeting and did okay for awhile, but it was obvious to me that it was getting worse. It was soon the only thing on my mind. With 10 minutes left someone asked me if I'd taken drugs that morning (not bad drugs, just something that was making me zone out.) I said I thought I was having an allergic reaction to my asthma medication. Side note: when you read about these asthma drugs one of the first things it says is how you are more likely to die from asthma related death than if you don't take it. I found that funny at the time, but not at this time. The meeting stopped and everyone went into "get Nilda to the hospital/doctor mode". I was the calm one. We had 10 minutes left of the meeting and I asked them to please finish. I then called my doctor's office and they told me they'd talk to the doctor and to try to remain calm. It was a bit freaky, but knowing that freaking out only constricts your airways more, I just went into survival mode and talked myself through it. I left work and started to drive closer to the doctor's office. They called to have me come in. Knowing I could still breathe, they had me wait until after they were back from lunch...which I found a little weird. Not wanting to be alone, I went to Lori's house as everyone else I knew was either at work, or not home. She did an amazing job of helping me think of other things. The doctor gave me a shot of Kenalog and they gave me a new prescription. They also gave me another EKG to verify that my heart was okay. I then got to go for a chest xray to verify it wasn't something other than asthma. I passed those tests. As that day progressed I felt worse and worse...though my throat was not as bad. By that night I couldn't breathe out of my nose and was in full allergy mode. Nothing like breathing in something you are allergic to.

Wednesday (29th and the day I started this post, though didn't finish it until May 12th) I was home in bed sleeping almost all day. It was not fun, but I was alive. I didn't take my new medication because I was afraid that I'd have another reaction or that we wouldn't be able to tell if it was from the old one or the new one. By Friday night I could hardly breathe through my lungs and decided I better start taking it. I sent Laura a text and said "I took Advair tonight, if I die you know why". She didn't find it funny, but I did. I wish that I wasn't allergic to Symbicort. Advair helps a little, but my lungs still don't feel clear. I am going to give it until the 19th and if my lungs still aren't clear, then I'll go back to the doctor again. For someone that hates doctors, I really want to take care of this so that I can live a normal life, while feeling normal...the old normal.

I have sympathy for those of you that suffer from asthma all the time. It hasn't been fun and I really am hoping that this is a temporary thing. I look forward to the day that I'm not excited to take my medication or the day that I don't have to carry albuterol with me at all times. If you have any advise, I'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

RJ said...

Nilda that is so terrible! I know I don't appreciate my health until I'm sick! I'm sorry for your hard times that would be so difficult, especially with how much you love hiking and how active you are in general. I'll pray for you, good luck and hope you still make it to Havasupi!

Nilda Noel said...

Thank you Rachel. It is amazing to me how much I've taken my health for granted. I mean I'm grateful that I'm healthy, but it takes something big to sit back and really think about it. I will still make it to Havasupai...it will just take me longer to get in and out than last year and I'm okay with that. I'm too stubborn not to go and even more stubborn not to make it out.

Genia said...

Hey Nilda,

Those are 'my' ducks; I call them Frick & Frack; they started coming here about 6 weeks ago; they, probably, do live at one of the lakes around here. They seemed like a 'couple' so I asked a friend if ducks are monogomous and he said, "Yes, ducks mate for life" (if only people would do that!). Seriously, they visit anyone who will give them some food & water. I think the male is a Mallard. When I moved here 4 years ago, I started feeding 1 Mockingbird but it has escalated to other species. This big Blackbird watches me like a hawk; can't go outside w/o him making his presence known to feed him. These 2 Quail had 5 tiny babies a couple of years ago who are all now as big as the parents. Every morning, as soon as I put some food out, each bird 'ringleader' starts calling their family & friends to partake; similar to people; interesting to observe their behaviors.

Know what you mean about your allergies this season. Literally, I about died a few weeks ago from allergic complications but I'm still hangin' in here. Call me
(623-583-9293) and I'll give you some tips regarding allergies. Your neighbor, Sis. Stephenson

Nilda Noel said...

Sis S, I still don't think I've met you? Maybe I have, I'm very bad with names. If you see me on the street, don't be afraid to say hello. Seems this medication is at least helping and I'm not allergic to it :)