Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Weekend

Memorial Weekend started off on Friday leaving town to go camping with the family and having EVERYTHING go wrong. Just before Table Mesa Road Laura's check engine soon light went on and it started shaking. We pulled over and looked under the hood (yeah, like we have ANY clue about vehicles). A tow truck pulled over and suggested we drive back...which we did.

We weren't going to go. Only so many things can go wrong that make you think it just isn't suppose to happen. Jason really wanted to go and so I rented a truck. It was SO fun to have a 4 door and throw everything in the back. I figured if we got to Table Mesa Road again and had issues, then it was a definite sign. I did however feel good about going, so figured my wires were either crossed (which wouldn't be surprising this week) or it was okay to go up. No more hitches and we were on our way.

We got up there just after lunch. Awaiting me was my brother Karlen. He surprised me (after my worse week ever) and drove down from Colorado. I WAS SURPRISED! He had asked if I wanted him to come down, but I said it was okay and there was nothing he could do and that we were going camping. It never occurred to me that he'd go camping too. So, I guess it was good that we went. He said he would have driven another 2 hours if I hadn't. It was great to see him and it meant a lot (though it wasn't necessary). A big thank you to my sister-in-law Jeri for encouraging him (even though he'd been out of town all week for work and it was a long weekend).

The first day it pretty much POURED rain. I was not happy. I love to camp, but hate to camp in the rain (or snow like last Memorial Weekend). After that it rained off and on. The pics of me with the umbrella aren't because it is raining. I'm on a prescription that makes me burn easy and so I was instructed to stay out of the sun. Check, check, check. I did everything the doctors asked of me this week!

Here are some pics:
Karlen, Uncle Delwyn, Danette & Laura
Laura & Jason, Kohlton & Nevaeh eating around the fire (my favorite part of camping...the campfire)
Kids climbing a tree
Chad & Parker (Father & son) finding more firewood
Jason & Karlen
Laura & Kohlton
David (such a cute, happy and special little boy)
Trisha & Laura visiting (and making a face)
Erika, Jason & Chad (Jason was made in California and is proud of it)
Hanging around the fire
Nevaeh & Jarom playing in the tree
Karlen & I (no, I don't have any makeup on and I don't want to hear about how crappy I look. It was a rough week and I really didn't care and that is the whole point of being with your family camping, right?! Besides, he drove all the way from Colorado to see me, so how did I not post a picture of us?) Thank you Karlen! (Thank you Jeri!)
Trisha's dad took the grand kids on a hike up the little mountain. Gutsy!
Kohlton taking a nap on my lap...for 2 hours! He was out, out!
This may have been the funniest part of the whole weekend. Collins had this game that had 2 golf balls on the opposite side of a rope. Someone threw it up in a tree (probably by accident, right, though it was up pretty high). It took them about 10-15 minutes to get it out (throwing bats, balls, etc.) It was so funny. A few times they knocked it out, only for it to jump to a different branch and hang on. By the time we thought to record it, they got it out. It was hilarious!!!
Yep...my favorite little man again. So cute! This little man LOVES me.
Tom, Karlen & Jason

5 comments:

Brewer's Ink said...

Glad you were able to make it out there. Sometimes you just need to get away :)

kate said...

that's SO cute your brother came to see you!! and glad it didn't rain the whole time-i HATE camping in the rain too!!

Trisha said...

I'm so glad you were able to make it. It was a fun weekend. Love the pics.

heidi said...

i would love to go one of these times, with Sam!

Bonnie said...

How fun!! Reading your post makes me want to try out camping. I can't remember the last time I went, pathetic I know. That's so awesome that your brother surprised you. Happy you had a good time and you look beautiful in the pictures. :)