Sunday, February 22, 2009

25 Random Things

I'm not really cheating am I. I had to do this on FB and I'm so behind on blogging. I figured it would be fun to post it here too. I will be caught up on here soon. I promise. I'm just out of practice blogging after being without a computer so long. Habits are hard to break, but harder to form! I'm going to apologize now for the candidness and openness of the following post. The older I get the more open and honest I get and well...I did just have another birthday;-)

25 Random Things About Me

1. I have a huge fascination and love for trees (and leaves). Not just any tree (or leaf). The perfectly symmetrical ones that look like they are fake, like they should only belong in a painting. Not just any type either. I love the trees that have the normal trunk (thick and strong) and have the fluffy rounded tops...like apple trees. There are two perfect trees that come to mind. One in Montana between the bridge and the Fireside Inn at Sun River, Montana (if my memory serves me right). The second is between Thunderbird and Greenway on 91st Ave at Desert Harbor. Love them, fascinated with them. Beautiful.

2. I'm a huge fan of salty foods. Not foods with too much salt on them, but salty foods. Chips, crackers, ham. I can totally live without sweets, but salty I'd rather not live without. So glad I don't have high blood pressure.

3. I have an issue with judgemental people. They annoy me and I think they are very closed minded. Coming from a small town I had to learn to accept people the way they were and learn that everyone, no matter how different, can get along. Judgemental people probably would be harsh on themselves if they saw their twin, but usually never admit they too have issues. Being around judgemental people makes me grumpy.

4. I love doing things right. I love the feeling of peace that it brings me. Most people say that choosing good most of the time (I'm not perfect) is limiting. I feel it is freeing and liberating. We all have the right to choose. I choose good. If you don't like it, it's okay, you too have a choice.

5. I've been blessed with a number of amazing and close friends. I'm blessed to have been able to meet more wonderful friends everywhere I move. I am particular about my friends though. I like to surround myself with people that allow me to be me, are happy people, are nice, loyal, fun, love to laugh and don't mind just being low key and hanging out. I do however miss having a lot of single friends. It gets quite lonely having everyone married that is in your close circle of friends. Not because it is awkward for me, but I think it must be awkward for them. I love how good friends can go days, weeks, months and even sometimes years without talking and yet are able to pick up right where we left off. That is what I love most about friendships.

6. I have a slight addiction to investigative TV shows. I could watch CSI, Forensic Files, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Criminal Minds, etc. all day long (well if I had time to watch them all day long). I started watching Criminal Minds after finding out that one of my longest clients has written a few episodes for them. He has been a Profiler for a long, LONG time.

I'm amazed how people made it to 25 on this. I'm struggling and I'm only on #7. I'll have to copy this to my blog so that I can put off catching up on it JUST a little bit longer.

7. PSI Basic and PSI 7 is the best money I ever spent on myself. PSI 7 is where I pushed through a huge fear of heights for one brief moment and climbed to the top of a 40 foot telephone pole and jumped off to a trapeze 10 feet away. One of the greatest moments ever! I will forever love the 48 other people that were on the Ranch with me for those 7 days!!! I learned what REAL relationships are all about.

8. I love being involved with the teenage girls at my church (YW). I feel like they keep me young and on my toes. I love that they are full of life and seem to like to have me around. I love the spirit that they bring into my life. I feel like some of them are going through the same experiences as I am. It is fun to talk about dating and life with them. I hope they continue to keep me around for awhile.

9. Typing and playing the piano relax me and are a huge stress relief. Ever wonder why I type such long emails or IM for so long...it really is a form of stress relief. Someday I'll have a home large enough for a Grand Piano. I then look forward to teaching myself how to play better.

10. Hiking didn't become a passion for me until I moved to Arizona. Funny how I grew up in Montana and lived there until I was in my mid 20s' and yet I could probably count the number of hikes in the mountains I did on both hands (minus hiking to "the rock" at Alice Creek as a kid). I prepared for Havasupai the spring of 2001 and flew here to do it. After moving to Arizona in September of 2001, Uncle Delwyn was a HUGE reason I really got into doing it. He was doing Rim to Rim to Rim in October of 2002. The rest is pretty much history. Not that I wouldn't have hiked in Montana, but we really don't have mountains in the middle of town. We have hills...which are actually as high as what some call mountains here, but it wasn't something people did. I don't even know if they had trails.

11. Two of my favorite places on earth are Glacier National Park and THE Grand Canyon (including Havasupai). I feel closer to heaven in these places than almost anywhere...comparable to the temple. I wish I could work there, but that would be unrealistic, though very rewarding. Anytime you want to go there...I'm game to come along.

12. I have never wanted anything more as an adult than to be a wife and a mother. In fact, when I was in high school I never worried or thought I needed to worry about doing anything else. I can't wait to have my ideal career, for now my job, which turned into a career, is actually temporary!

13. I cannot stand when people ask me if I am or tell me that I am too picky!!! Feel free to read and re-read that comment over and over again. It actually makes me feel like people really don't know me. If you know me, you know I'm not too picky. If you think you know me and still think I'm too picky, then you need to dig a little deeper and realize that you don't know me at all. The key word is "too". Of course I'm picky, to an extent. Weren't you? If you weren't, do you ever regret it. Life and eternity are too long to just marry anyone. I have standards, but if you ever had a conversation with me about what standards I have in a husband you would quickly realize that "too" has nothing to do with it. I want a wonderful marriage built on a foundation of faith in God. I want to KNOW for sure that I am suppose to marry that person. Nothing else really matters. If I don't ever find those two things, I'll never get married.

14. I'm not OCD, but I am very aware of germs after being around a close friend that is a total germaphobic (you know who you are). Every time I open a door, whether to a store or bank or bathroom, anywhere, I think of how long it has been since that door handle was washed. Unfortunately in most of those situations the answer is NEVER! I work at a bank and I'm almost positive that the cleaners don't clean the door handles. For this reason I laugh to myself every time I see a cop show that fingerprints doors and they always manage to find the one...very unrealistic. I think every public bathroom should have a garbage right by the door or have a door that pushes out. I also wash the bathroom door handle, light switch, toilet handle and faucet handle every time I clean my bathroom. (Let's be realistic, NOT everyone washes their hands after using the bathroom...YUCK!). I've also been healthier because I wash my hands more often and always before eating. Especially after shaking a clients hand at work. It is the first thing I do after they leave. (SHHHH don't tell them.) Thank you my germ conscious friend.

15. I'm not a big fan of chocolate unless it comes in the form of hot chocolate, Turtles from Sees or once in awhile chocolate covered almonds or a snickers.

16. I'm very close with my family. There are 10 kids and we ALL get along (or at least I get along with them all). I'm not sure that our parents were looking to have enough for a basketball team or even a good baseball game, but they did. For as non-athletic as our parents were...most of us turned out to be quite the athletes. I'm blessed to have every one of them in my eternal family. I love you Clayton, Jamie, Brent, Darren, Karlen, Deanna, Terry, Shawna, Blair, Laura and Trevor!

17. If I could go back and talk to anyone dead or alive, it would be Grandma Great. I'd love to hear the stories again that I rarely listened to when she lived with us (I was 9 or 10...she was 93). Oh how I'd love to have the day to spend with her. Yep, Grandma Great (Grape) I'd love to spend the day with you!

18. I have a fear of men that are single, attractive or are intriguing to me. Makes it hard for a girl to find a husband. :)

19. I would love to go on a trip to Egypt, Ireland, Greece, Alaska, New York, Hawaii, or ruins of any kind.

20. I played basketball in high school and started every year but my Sophomore year. I did the hurdles and ran sprints in track. That was my favorite sports, but also holds one of my hardest memories and biggest regrets. I was also a cheerleader (because I had great legs, that is my excuse) until I figured out if I kept stats for the boys basketball team I could actually ride THEIR bus and spend more time with the boys. I would have played volleyball, but it was with the team from the school next to us and we were huge rivals. I wish I would have done it anyway. If it would have been politically correct to play football as a girl in our very small town, I think I would have done it. I'm pretty sure I would have been better at tackling than some of the boys:).

21. I'm a romantic. I always want the nice guy to get the nice girl. I always want things to work out for people and for them to be happy. I look forward to the day that the person that gets me flowers on Valentine's Day is a hot guy that is totally into me and not a client that is saying "Thank you for helping our dream come true. We love our new home and couldn't have done it without you." (don't get me wrong...it was nice, super nice and they were beautiful and were my favorite flowers!)

22. My ideal dates have to do with hiking, playing basketball, going camping or just sitting around talking. Who needs dinner and a movie? ...NOT ME!!! My ideal place to be proposed to is the Billings Montana Temple (don't worry, the Mesa Arizona Temple will do). My ideal ring would have a Yogo Sapphire in it.

This seems to only get harder as I go.

23. I thought I was going to die once, a couple years ago. Most people that were with me didn't and still don't know how bad it really was. Some think I was overreacting and still don't understand the risk that was involved. I'd come to terms that living through it wasn't likely going to happen, but I didn't give up and I didn't give in. If I was going to die, I was going to do so fighting it. I've never prayed so long and so hard and so earnestly in all my life. I'd even come to terms with my Maker that this was the end of the road for me (never an easy thing to do or admit). I sucked it up the best I could. I'm stubborn that way, I didn't want anyone to know what I was REALLY going through. For some reason I thought that showed weakness and I wanted to prove I was strong and didn't need any one's help. I think, in my non-ability to think clearly moment, that I was somewhat trying to protect not only myself, but them. I learned that I was stupid for not asking or accepting help. I learned that sometimes you have to listen to your body and not be afraid to tell people what you are going through...even if some don't want to listen. For one brief and horrific moment I felt forgotten and left behind. This whole experience is the hardest for me to talk about because it actually makes me sad and angry. It is hard to go through your darkest moment without someone there to be by your side (even if it was by my own doing), to just be there, not to necessarily make it better, but just to be there. (Yep, in tears). I hope one day I can move past this and get over the feelings I had in those dark moments. On the other note... a HUGE thank you for those that were there the best they knew how to be and the best they could be. I mostly fault myself. I'm learning from it and really, isn't that what trials are for?!

24. Sometimes I think I'm misunderstood. I don't understand why, but most people aren't honest enough to tell me when I ask.

25. I have three friendships that I couldn't live without. Literally. I think I would die if they weren't in my life. The first is by far the longest and closest, we rarely go a day without talking. I'm pretty sure we were best friends in the pre-existence. The second is someone that I think sometimes knows me better than I know myself and has more confidence in me than anyone else I know (or at least is willing to express that confidence more than anyone I know). When I'm having a hard time, she is who I want to talk to, because she always reminds me of who I am. The third (not least) is genuinely real with me. She can say anything to me and I won't take it wrong. We have this friendship that includes openness and honesty. If I want a real answer and want to know what someone really thinks, not ever holding back, she is the one I talk to. I think that is something more friends should be to each other. I can still remember the first time that she said, "Is that really how you feel?" I was trying to pretend I was okay with something and she called me out on my stuff. I LOVE that about her. I have other wonderful friends, but these I couldn't live without. Life would not be the same without them on "my team". I can name a number of friends that I wouldn't want to live without, but really...you are probably long done reading these 25 random thoughts!!!

Phew...done. I'm sure you are all saying the same thing!!!
(I should have read this through before posting it...some oops'...hope I fixed them all...18th time's a charm)

6 comments:

Alison said...

Cool post!!! I love posts like this...

Did you know that Kaleigh was the only girl on the football team in jr high?? You two are very similiar!!!

Heather Farar said...

Hey Nilda! I don't know why it took me so long to figure out you had a blog, but I finally did and it is great to catch up with what you are doing. By the way, if you're serious about wanting to visit NY, then you have a place to stay that is central to both upstate NY and NYC (2-3 hours to either). We'd love to see you!

Christine said...

I know it was hard but you are going to love that you wrote all this down when you go back and read it one day. Thanks for sharing with us!

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing all these personal and wonderful things about yourself. I love you, Nilda!

Layne & Crystal said...

Nice :) And yes, you can laugh and comment all you want about the snuggie...I don't know where he got the idea to get me one because I, too, have always made fun of them. I can't tell if he really thought I wanted it or did it as a joke, but I am not about to ask. I was surprised that he got me anything at all, so I'll keep my mouth shut and hope for better on our 1 year :)

heidi said...

i love that you came to AZ & started to love to hike